Rockstar can add another UK Number 1 title to their already impressive CV, following a successful début weekend for Max Payne 3. Nine years after the pill popping ex-cop last slow-mo dived his way into our hearts and minds, Payne has risen to the summit of the charts, holding off the challenge of long-awaited PC sequel Diablo III – which itself had a 3 day head-start having been released last Tuesday. However, it should be noted that Chart Track GfK’s count does not include digital sales.
After two weeks at the top, Sniper Elite v2 dropped down to fourth, ending its ultimately non-existent hopes of beating the streak of fellow 505 Games title Zumba Fitness. Otherwise, it was a fairly uneventful week of shuffling for the Top 20, with only Catherine and Rayman Origins creeping their way in without so much as introducing themselves.
With strong competition from the likes of Ghost Recon and DiRT Showdown, Max Payne will face a fight to keep his top spot next week, but provided he keeps a steady supplier of painkillers handy it could prove to be a very interesting fight.
The Top 20 All-Formats Chart, in full, is as follows:
1. Max Payne 3 (Rockstar Games)
2. Diablo III (Blizzard Entertainment)
3. FIFA Street (EA Sports)
4. Sniper Elite v2 (505 Games)
5. FIFA 12 (EA Sports)
6. Prototype 2 (Activision)
7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision)
8. Battlefield 3 (EA)
9. Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (Ubisoft)
10. Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Sega)
11. Mass Effect 3 (EA)
12. Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure (Activision)
13. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 (EA Sports)
14. Kinect Star Wars (Microsoft Game Studios)
15. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda)
16. Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment)
17. Catherine (Deep Silver)
18. Saints Row: The Third (THQ)
19. Football Manager 2012 (Sega)
20. Rayman Origins (Ubisoft)